In case of emergency call 01785 813955

Click here for information

Pet Passports & Exports

Several of our vets are accredited by APHA to undertake Pet Passports and export documentation for small animals, and Jessica Hulme is accredited to undertake export documentation for birds and exotic species.

Pet Passports:

You must meet the entry requirements for your pet dog, cat or ferret for the country you are going to or coming from.

You are responsible for any fees or charges for your pet if you don’t meet the entry requirements.

Enter the UK from the EU or a listed country

When you enter or return to the UK from another EU or non-EU listed country your pet needs to meet the entry requirements. These include:

You must also use an approved transport company and an approved route unless you’re travelling between the UK and the Republic of Ireland (all other rules still apply).

You must wait 21 whole days from the date of the rabies vaccination before travelling.

Enter the UK from an unlisted country

An ‘unlisted’ country is any country not included in the list of EU and non-EU countries.
When you enter or return to the UK from an unlisted country, your pet needs to meet the entry requirements. These include:

You must wait 3 calendar months from the date the blood sample was taken before travelling. The vet must give you a copy of the test results. These must show that the vaccination was successful.

You don’t have to wait 3 months if your pet was vaccinated, blood tested and given a pet passport in the EU before travelling to an unlisted country.

You must also use an approved transport company and route.

Guide dogs and other assistance dogs

The rules for assistance dogs travelling under the EU pet travel scheme are the same as for other dogs.

However assistance dogs can:

The Guide Dogs Association website has advice about taking assistance dogs abroad.

When you return to the UK

Staff from the travel company will scan your pet’s microchip and check your documents.

Your pet will be put into quarantine or sent back to the country it travelled from if:

  • you don’t have the correct documents
  • your pet hasn’t been properly prepared for travel

You are responsible for the costs of quarantine or the re-export of your pet.


Other types of pet

There are no restrictions on bringing pet rodents, rabbits, birds, ornamental fish, invertebrates, amphibians and reptiles to the UK from other EU countries.

Pet rabbits and rodents from countries outside the EU must spend 4 months in quarantine. They need a rabies import licence.

Contact the Centre for International Trade (Carlisle) for more information on the rules for travelling with these or other species of pet.


Travel with more than 5 pets

You can’t travel with more than 5 pets unless you are attending a competition, show, sporting event or training for one. You’ll need written evidence of registration for this event when you travel.

There are different rules if the animals are being sold or re-homed or if you’re travelling with more than 5 of your own pets for any other reason.


Other documents

Your transport company may need a statement from your vet confirming that your pet is fit to travel.


Tapeworm treatment (dogs only)

A vet must treat your dog for tapeworm and record it in the pet passport or third country official veterinary certificate every time you want to enter the UK.

You don’t need to treat your dog for tapeworm if you’re coming directly to the UK from Finland, Ireland, Malta or Norway.

The treatment must have been given within 1 and 5 days (between 24 and 120 hours) before you’re scheduled to enter the UK.

Your pet can be refused entry into the UK or put into quarantine if the treatment hasn’t been given between 24 and 120 hours.

Your vet must record the following details in the ‘Echinococcus treatment’ section of your dog’s pet passport or certificate:

  • the name and manufacturer of the product used to treat your dog
  • the date and time they treated your dog
  • their stamp and signature

The treatment must have praziquantel or an equivalent as its active ingredient.


Day trips

Your pet must be treated before you leave the UK. To return to the UK, the treatment must have been given within 24 and 120 hours by the time you re-enter the UK. You should give another treatment within 28 days of returning to the UK.

All this might sound really complicated. We strongly advise that if you are considering travelling with your pet that you speak to one of our vets ASAP. We can then advise you as to the correct procedure and any other recommended (but not required by law) vaccines and preventative treatments your pet(s) may require.

If you are exporting your pet outside of the EU then speak to us ASAP as the majority of these exports take several months to arrange


More information

Your Nearest Surgery

Shires Rewards

Shires Rewards


Info >

Pets Stories / Case Studies

Exploratory surgery saves Marley

This beautiful big lad is Marley, who belongs to Signal 1 DJ Chris Bovaird and his family. Listeners of his show may well have already been following Marley's tale lately - the poor boy has really been through the wars, unable to keep food down and really not being himself...

Shires Vets Pets Illustration