Be a part of our Linnaeus Graduate Development Programme!
At Shires Vets we are a large multi-site practice providing high quality patient care across Staffordshire and the West Midlands. The small animal team is highly experienced, with 12 of the 18 vets, greater than 5 years qualified. The team includes a number of certificate holders including Small Animal Medicine, Surgery and Ophthalmology with areas of special interest including cardiology, dermatology, acupuncture and physiotherapy. This will provide a broad range of learning opportunities for a new graduate.
New graduates will have the opportunity to operate and perform diagnostics 3-4 days per week, as well as shadowing initially on the OOH rota to gain experience in emergency medicine. Graduates start with 30-minute appointment slots to enable time for a thorough approach to cases and to seek advice and support as needed.
Shires have a team of experienced mentors, having supported a number of graduates through the Linnaeus GDP and are able to support in all areas of your clinical development, including dedicated surgical skills coaching.
The four small animal sites are well equipped and include all the usual consulting, diagnostic and operating facilities. Equipment includes digital x-ray, dental x-ray, laparoscopic equipment, flexible endoscope, ultrasound, in-house lab facilities and multi-parameter monitoring, all supported by an exceptional nursing team.
How you’ll benefit
Linnaeus has already seen a number of graduates progress within the group and we’re always on the look-out for future talent to join us. We are committed to supporting you to develop yourself and your career. You will have the opportunity to share your ideas and help shape our continued commitment to developing new treatments and technological advancements in the industry. You’ll benefit from:
- A 12-month Graduate Development Programme (GDP) aligned with the RCVS VetGDP
- Subsequent 12-month Early Careers Programme (ECP)
- Starting salary from £34,000 with a review at 12 months
- RCVS Membership fees, professional indemnity insurance and an additional membership of choice (BVA or BSAVA) provided
- Graduate roles available throughout the UK.
- Graduate Development Programme (GDP):
- 12 core educational days including an intensive pre-start training camp
- Focus on fundamental primary care clinical and professional skills
- Early Careers Programme (ECP):
- Up to 5 days flexible CPD of your own choice, plus 6 core educational days on more advanced topics
- Flexibility to attend CPD of your own choice
- Graduate specific practical training days
- Additional CPD opportunities outside of the GDP – conference attendance, external CPD, practice visits
- Access to an extensive online resource library with 150+ hours of on-demand content
- Access to exclusive Linnaeus CPD courses free of charge
- In-practice primary mentor and trained VetGDP Adviser
- In-practice secondary mentor
- Peer-to-peer support through GDP networking and social events
- Dedicated graduate contact point within the Linnaeus Central Support Team
- Placement at a supportive practice.
- Permanent contract within Linnaeus Veterinary Limited
- Support to map out your own career journey
- Flexibility to move within the Linnaeus family on graduation